Bench Project Part I


I have about three dozen projects on my list, but most of them are on the small side. As far as larger projects go, the three vying for my summer attention are: trestle table, screen door, and settle/bench. The table and the screen door dont make the cut as the current versions of these items are still functioning. However, the bench is falling apart (dowel joints) so it moves to the top of the list.

Heres a shot of the bench to be replaced:


I bought this for Celena back in the dark ages before the shop. Its not too bad really, especially considering it came from a big box store. Its real wood (except for the bottom of the storage compartment - which is some MDF/cardboard type stuff)and the design is okay. It has performed well, and I could probably reglue it and get another couple of years out of it, but Ive never really loved it. So its replacement time!

I havent yet designed the replacement bench, but it will address the following needs:

Function: seating for at least two adults, storage space of some kind.

Form: fit in with the style of the rest of the house, fit the space where it will live, be constructed to last (no dowel joints).

Looking at my track recorded, I should have the designs finalized by the end of summer...

0 comments:

Post a Comment